Monday, July 30, 2012

CAREGIVERS AS PATIENTS


Working with people who have cancer, I come into abundant contact with their caregivers, usually their spouses. I’ve written here about how the caregiver suffers, sometimes more than the patient does. Caregiving is all-consuming, unrelenting, exhausting, and too often under-appreciated. The physicians and others who treat patients assume that their mandate is to serve the patient, and that caregivers’ tribulations are outside medical responsibility.

Little wonder, then, that caregiving is such a hazardous occupation. Studies have found that caregivers are at risk for high blood pressure, impaired immunity, and cardiovascular disease. Spousal caregivers age 66 or older have a 63% higher mortality rate than noncaregivers the same age. It’s not as if we really need those studies; just ask a caregiver.

I’m beginning to realize that one way to get practitioners to take caregivers more seriously is to identify them as patients. Suppose a man with cancer, say, visits a doctor along with his wife. What would their care look like if the doctor recognized there were two patients to deal with?

Truly, doctors aren’t generally equipped to address caregivers’ problems, but they can be referred to appropriate professionals and support services. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, but wills and ways depend on first seeing the situation.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post.I like the way you start and then conclude your thoughts. Thanks for this information .I really appreciate your work, keep it up

    child psychologist nyc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, to sharing this information. You are doing work is very well, because lot of peoples are suffering in cancer diseases. You are take care of suffering cancer patients , treatment on patient and gives them medicine is an wonderful job. Yes, I also appreciate from your work. Custom Research

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are a pretty unique doctor. I had one of those too. I would like to ask you a question pertaining to caregivers but I don't see an email any place. Do you have one? If so could I send you something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Cathy,

    Thanks for your kind words. You can email me at mxypltrk@yahoo.com.

    - Jeff

    ReplyDelete