Friday, April 2, 2010

A COMMENT ON “SPIRITUALITY”


Occasionally a reader posts comments successfully here, but I’ve heard from several who find it impossible. Search though I may through Blogspot.com, I haven’t yet figured out how to do it. So I publish comments as blog entries. This fascinating one came to me today, written in response to the March 17 “Spirituality” entry…

"On the other hand, what does this have to do with me?"

As I read that line, I was struck with how often I've considered that question, as it relates to my thoughts and emotions. When I have been able to look at them objectively, from a place of detached awareness, they seem so disconnected from any semblance of present reality. It is as if they appear out of nowhere, at the margins of my awareness, like phantasm in some forest glade childhood dream and  beckon me to follow them on mindless adventures. In those times I have been able to remain undistracted; they vanish as mysteriously as they appear, leaving me alone momentarily in tranquility.

It's a wonderful mystery, this aspect of my mind, which can remain so unchanged be the continuous stream of thoughts and emotions that pass through it. There are moments in that place of awareness, when there is an intuitive knowing, that even when death comes, I may be able to echo that phrase, "On the other hand, what does this have to do with Me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment